Physical Therapy (Professional Program: DPT)
The College of Applied Health Sciences offers the Doctor of Physical Therapy degree. The DPT is the entry-level degree for people who want to become physical therapists. At the University of Illinois at Chicago, students complete eight terms (33 months) of didactic and clinical education that includes lecture courses, laboratory courses, seminars, and clinical internships.
UIC DPT graduates are ahead of the curve: The overall licensure exam pass rates have been 100% for the last three years. The job market is strong. All graduates responding to a survey one year after graduation report they are working as physical therapists in diverse clinical settings within six months of graduation.
The Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program at the University of Illinois at Chicago is accredited by:
Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE)
1111 North Fairfax Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314-1488
The Doctor of Physical Therapy program was first accredited in 1973, and was most recently accredited for 10 years, in November 2007.
The Doctor of Physical Therapy program offers students the following:
- unique opportunities to work with different patient populations such as pediatrics and geriatrics
- a diverse student body representing a myriad of cultures and economic backgrounds
- access to the University of Illinois Medical Center, including opportunities for clinical internships
- world-class faculty in all major physical therapy specialties, including researchers with labs on site
- an ever-increasing selection of elective courses in pediatrics, women’s health, gait and movement analysis, neuroplasticity, and sports physical therapy
- a prime location in the heart of Chicago
- a top-notch academic program that is highly ranked by U.S. News & World Report and ranked 6th among public universities
The Doctor of Physical Therapy at UIC is considered a professional clinical doctorate degree program, not a graduate program. Applications for this program should be submitted through the Physical Therapist Central Application Service (PTCAS http://www.ptcas.org/home.aspx). The applications are then forwarded and processed through the Department of Physical Therapy. For more information on the DPT program, admission requirements, and the application process, please consult the following website: http://www.ahs.uic.edu/pt/prospectivestudents.