MFA in New Media Arts
Applicants are considered on an individual basis. Transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Baccalaureate Field No restrictions; however, individuals who apply must demonstrate an advanced level of competence in new media arts through their portfolio submission.
- Grade Point Average At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate study.
- Tests Required None.
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL 580 (paper-based); 92, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT Internet-based), OR,
- IELTS 6.5, with subscores of 6.0 for all four subscores, OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- Letters of Recommendation Three required.
- Personal Statement Required. This artist's statement of purpose should outline applicant’s current or previous work as relevant to plans and objectives for advanced study; describe professional goals and how these goals were developed; and state why applicant would like to study in the chosen area in the school.
- Other Requirements Applicants must submit a resume/cv, transcripts (from all schools attended), and a portfolio of visual work demonstrating proficiency in the area of computer graphics, video, and/or new media arts. Experience in digital video or computer graphics programming (C, C++, GL, Open GL) or mathematics may be required prior to entrance. All materials, including unofficial transcripts, are submitted online at: http://uic.slideroom.com. Applicants must also submit the UIC Graduate Application, application fee, and upload additional unofficial copies of the transcript(s) within the UIC web application. A tour of our facilities with the director of graduate studies is encouraged. Tours are offered on several dates during the fall semester and once at the beginning of the spring semester. Please consult our website for tour dates and contact us if any special accommodations are needed.
- Deadlines Application deadlines for this program are listed on the Graduate College website at http://grad.uic.edu/deadlines.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 64.
- Course Work
|Advanced New Media Arts (20 hours)|
|Seminar in Contemporary Theory (16 hours)|
|Advanced Graduate Critique (16 hours)|
At least 12 hours of graduate-level electives are required. The completion of at least two courses in art history is strongly recommended.
- Comprehensive Examination None.
- Thesis, Project, or Course-Work-Only Options Project required. No other options are available.
- Project: All MFA candidates must present a public exhibition or showing for review. Documentation in the form of a major paper and DVD of the project must be presented to the school for archival purposes.
- Other Requirements Continuation in the MFA program beyond the second semester requires an evaluation and recommendation of the Graduate Advisory Committee in the student’s area.