MA in Anthropology/Master of Public Health
To be admitted to the joint degree program, applicants must meet the admissions criteria of both programs and be admitted to each through separate applications. Consult the School of Public Health Catalog for information on the admission requirements of the MPH program. Joint degree students must take their MPH training in either Community Health Sciences (CHS) or Epidemiology.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 71–76.
- Course Work
|Anthropology and Global Heath Core (12 hours)|
|Foundations in Anthropology and Global Health I|
|Foundations in Anthropology and Global Health II|
|Anthropology and Global Health Integrative Seminar|
|Anthropology Core (18 hours)|
|Social and Cultural Theory I|
|Social and Cultural Theory II|
|Theory and Method in Archaeology|
|Hominid, Phylogeny and Adaptations|
|Graduate Seminar in Anthropology|
|School of Public Health Core (20 hours)|
|Determinants of Population Health|
|Analytic and Research Methods in Public Health|
|Public Health Systems, Policy, and Management|
|Applied Practice Experience|
|Integrative Learning Experience|
6–8 hours chosen in consultation with graduate advisors
- Students select one of two areas in Public Health:
- Community Health Sciences
|Community Health Sciences Core (15 hours)|
|Community Health 1: Assessing, Promoting and Improving Community Health|
|Community Health 2: Evidence-Informed Community Health Interventions|
|Community Health 3: Professional Development for Public Health Practice|
|Select one of the following:|
|Critical Issues in Long Term Care Policy|
|MCH Policy and Advocacy|
|Introduction to Health Policy|
|Epidemiology Core (18 hours)|
|Intermediate Epidemiologic Methods|
|Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases|
|Epidemiology of Chronic Diseases|
|Current Epidemiologic Literature|
- Comprehensive Examination None.
- Thesis, Project, or Course-Work-Only Options Field experience and capstone project required. No other options available.
- Other Requirements Students in the joint program will have two advisors, one from the Department of Anthropology faculty in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and one from the Community Health Sciences or Epidemiology program in the School of Public Health.