MS in Surgery
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Prior Degrees Applicants must have an MD.
- Other Requirements At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester (90 quarter) hours of undergraduate study.
- Tests Required GRE General. Recent graduates may substitute the MCAT.
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL The TOEFL score cannot be more than two years old. UIC’s Institutional Code is 1851. 550 (paper-based); 80, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT Internet-based), OR,
- IELTS 6.5, with subscores of 6.0 for all four subscores, OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- Letters of Recommendation Contact the director of graduate studies for information.
- Personal Statement Contact the director of graduate studies for information.
- Other Requirements Applicants must be enrolled in or have completed an approved general surgery residency program. Contact the director of graduate studies before submitting an application.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 32.
- Course Work At least 9 hours must be at the 500-level. Students must take at least three graduate-level courses in addition to SURG 597 or SURG 598, including a course in statistical methods. Recommended courses include BIOE 455, EPID 403, EPID 411, and GEMS 503.
- Comprehensive Examination None.
- Thesis, Project, or Course-Work-Only Options Thesis or project required. No other options are available.