MS in Architecture/MA in Design Criticism Joint Program
Applicants are considered on an individual basis. Transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the program requirements as listed below. For more information on the School of Architecture application instructions, please be sure to carefully review: http://arch.uic.edu/graduate-admissions.
- To apply directly to the joint program, students must apply to each of the individual degree programs separately, noting that they are applying to the joint program. To be admitted to the joint program, a student must meet the admission requirements for both individual degree programs.
- Transferring into the joint program from the MSArch: Students who enter the MSArch program and later decide to transfer into the joint program may do so before entering their second semester of MSArch study if they meet the admission requirement of the MAD-Crit program and have taken ARCH 587 in the fall as an elective. Students in the joint program will be advised by the School of Architecture graduate academic advisor, who will assist the students and ensure that they understand the program requirements and course sequence requirements as well as advise on elective options.
- If a student leaves the program before the requirements for the joint degree are complete, and the student has met the individual requirements for one of the two degrees, a single degree will be awarded.
- Deadlines The application deadline for this program is earlier than the Graduate College deadline; for information on current deadlines, please see: http://arch.uic.edu/graduate-admissions.
The joint degree combines the one-year post-professional Master of Science in Architecture (MSArch) with the two-year Master of Arts in Design Criticism's (MAD-Crit) academic specialization in written and graphic argumentation. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 72 hours in two years of full-time study.
- Course Work
Course List Code Title Hours MSArch Core courses (16 credit hours) Topic Studio Research Studio Topics in Architectural Technology MAD-Crit Core courses (40 credit hours) Pro-seminar I: Design Criticism Pro-seminar II: Publication and Graphic Argumentation Writing Tutorial I Writing Tutorial II Topics in Architectural Theory and History Architectural Theory and History I Architectural Theory and History II400- to 500-level approved Art History Electives Shared requirements for MSArch and MAD-Crit (16 credit hours) Architectural Theory and History III Architectural Theory and History IV Research Seminar400- to 500-level Elective approved by the advisor
- Portfolio review Occurs during the first week of the spring term.
- Comprehensive Examination None.
- Thesis, Project, or Course-Work-Only Options Course work only.