MS in Architecture/MA in Design Criticism Joint Program
Applicants are considered on an individual basis. Transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the program requirements as listed below. See the School of Architecture website for the most up-to-date application requirements.
- To be considered for direct admission to the joint program, students must apply to each of the individual degree programs separately, noting that they are applying to the joint program in each application. To be admitted to the joint program, students must meet the admission requirements for each individual degree program.
- Students who enter the MSArch program and later decide to transfer into the joint program may be considered for admission before their second semester of MSArch study if they meet the admission requirement of the MAD-Crit program and have taken ARCH 587 in the fall as an elective. Joint degree applicants who are already enrolled in one program will be evaluated by members of the School of Architecture admission committee.
- Students in the joint program will be advised by the School of Architecture graduate academic advisor, who will ensure each student understands and fulfills the program and course sequence requirements. The advisor will also provide guidance regarding elective selections.
- If a student leaves the program before the requirements for the joint degree are complete, and the student has met the individual requirements for one of the two degrees, a single degree will be awarded.
- The application deadline for this program is earlier than the Graduate College deadline; for information about current deadlines, please see the School of Architecture website.
The joint degree combines the one-year post-professional Master of Science in Architecture (MSArch) with the two-year Master of Arts in Design Criticism's (MAD-Crit) academic specialization in written and graphic argumentation. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 72 hours in two years of full-time study
|MSArch Core courses (16 semester hours)|
|Topics in Architectural Technology|
|MAD-Crit Core courses (40 semester hours)|
|Pro-seminar I: Design Criticism|
|Pro-seminar II: Publication and Graphic Argumentation|
|Writing Tutorial I|
|Writing Tutorial II|
|Topics in Architectural Theory and History|
|Architectural Theory and History I|
|Architectural Theory and History II|
400- to 500-level approved Art History Electives (12 hours)
|Shared requirements for MSArch and MAD-Crit (16 semester hours)|
|Architectural Theory and History III|
|Architectural Theory and History IV|
400- to 500-level Elective approved by the advisor
|An annual portfolio review occurs during the spring semester of each academic year. The submission of a satisfactory portfolio in each year is a degree requirement.|
- Comprehensive Examination None
- Thesis, Project, or Course-Work-Only Options Course work only