MFA in Art
Applicants are considered on an individual basis. Transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Baccalaureate Field No restrictions; however, individuals who apply must demonstrate an advanced level of competence in the arts (painting, sculpture, drawing, installation, social practice, mixed media, interdisciplinary arts, photography, film/video, and new media arts) through their portfolio submission.
- Grade Point Average At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate study.
- Tests Required None.
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL 92, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT Test); 60, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Writing 21 (revised Paper-Delivered Test), OR,
- IELTS 6.5, with subscores of 6.0 for all four subscores, OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- Letters of Recommendation Three required. These are submitted through the application portal by the applicant's recommender.
- Personal Statement Required. This artist's statement of purpose should outline the applicant’s current or previous work as relevant to plans and objectives for advanced study; describe professional goals and how these goals were developed; and state why applicant would like to study in the chosen area of the school. 500 word maximum.
- Other Requirements Applicants must submit a resume/CV, transcripts (from all schools attended), and a portfolio of 12 images of current work demonstrating proficiency in their area of study. Prerequisites and/or technical experience specific to this field of study may be required prior to entrance. All materials, including unofficial transcripts, are submitted online. A tour of the facilities with the director of graduate studies is encouraged. Tours are offered on several dates during the fall semester and once at the beginning of the spring semester. Please consult the School of Art and Art History website for tour dates and contact the department if any special accommodations are needed.
- Deadlines Application deadlines for this program are listed on the Graduate College website.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 64.
- Course Work
|Advanced Critique (4 hours)|
|Seminar in Contemporary Theory (16 hours)|
|Advanced Graduate Critique (16 hours)|
|Advance Art (16 hours)|
At least 12 hours of graduate-level electives are required. The completion of at least two courses in art history is strongly recommended.
- Comprehensive Examination None.
- Thesis, Project, or Course-Work-Only Options Project required. No other options are available.
- Project: All MFA candidates must present a public exhibition or showing for review. Documentation in the form of a major paper and DVD of the project must be presented to the school for archival purposes.
- Other Requirements Continuation in the MFA program beyond the second semester requires an evaluation and recommendation of the Graduate Advisory Committee in the student’s area.