PhD in Bioinformatics
Applicants are considered on an individual basis. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Baccalaureate Field Physical sciences, engineering, computer science, mathematics, or biology. Students from other areas are also encouraged to apply if their backgrounds indicate a reasonable chance of success in the program.
- Grade Point Average At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate study.
- Tests Required GRE General, quantitative reasoning percentile rank above 50%.
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL 550 (paper-based); 80, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT Internet-based), OR,
- IELTS 6.5, with subscores of 6.0 for all four subscores, OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- Letters of Recommendation Three required.
- Personal Statement Required.
- Deadlines Application deadlines for this program are listed on the Graduate College website at http://grad.uic.edu/deadlines, including deadline for applicants who require funding.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 108 from the baccalaureate.
- Course Work At least 32 hours must be at the 500-level, excluding BIOE 599.
|Seminar on Bioengineering (2 hours)|
Additional required courses vary by area; contact the department or program for additional required courses in the elective areas.
- Departmental Qualifying Examination: Required.
- Preliminary Examination: Required.
- Dissertation Required. Students must earn at least 44 semester hours in BIOE 599.
- Other Requirements Each student is required to present at least two seminars prior to graduation. Students must be registered during the semester of intended graduation.