PhD in Materials Engineering
Applicants are considered on an individual basis. Complete transcripts for all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Baccalaureate Field Engineering or a related field.
- Grade Point Average At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate study.
- Tests Required GRE General, minimum Verbal score of 150 and minimum Quantitative score of 155 or minimum combined Verbal and Quantitative score of 305.
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL 80 (iBT Test), with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21; 60, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Writing 21 (revised Paper-Delivered Test), OR,
- IELTS 6.5, with subscores of 6.0 for all four subscores, OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- Letters of Recommendation Three required for PhD applicants.
- Personal Statement Required for PhD applicants.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 108 from the baccalaureate.
- Course Work
- Required Courses: Minimum requirement of 56 hours of course work postbaccalaureate (not including CME 496, CME 497, CME 599).
- Specific Course Requirements: At least 28 hours must be at the 500-level, of which 16 hours must be in the CME department (excluding CME 596 and CME 599).
- Credit for MS Degree: Those having an MS degree from an accredited institution may be awarded 32 hours of credit towards the PhD degree requirement (with 12 hours towards the 28-hour 500-level requirement).
- Departmental Qualifying Exam: Required, after the third semester.
- Preliminary Examination: Required.
- Dissertation Required. Students must earn at least 52 semester hours in CME 599.
- Other Requirements Students must be registered during the semester of intended graduation.