Executive Master of Healthcare Administration
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Baccalaureate Degree Required.
- Advanced Degree Requirements for Clinicians Advanced graduate professional clinical doctoral degree required (MD, PharmD, DNP-Doctor of Nursing Practice, or doctoral degree in other clinical disciplines; exceptions to the doctoral degree requirement may be made for clinical disciplines not characterized by a doctoral degree or for candidates with exceptionally extensive clinical experience). A graduate-level course in biostatistics is a requirement of admission. Matriculants who lack this prerequisite course will be required to fulfill a graduate-level biostatistics course during their first year in the program. Credits earned to complete the biostatistics requirement will not be counted toward the 48-credit-hour minimum to complete the degree.
- Advanced Degree Requirements for Non-clinicians No advanced degree required; baccalaureate degree required at a minimum. A graduate-level course in biostatistics is a requirement of admission. Matriculants who lack this prerequisite course will be required to fulfill a graduate level biostatistics course during their first year of the program. Credits earned to complete the biostatistics requirement will not be counted toward the 48-credit-hour minimum to complete the degree.
- Work Experience for Clinicians Clinical practice experience characteristics and duration are very important criteria for admission. Admission requires a minimum of five years clinical practice experience following completion of graduate and postgraduate education and training working in a professional practice organization capacity. Experience in excess of five years will receive additional admission consideration at the discretion of the admissions committee and program director. Experience in a leadership or supervisory role in a healthcare organization is preferred.
- Work Experience for Non-clinicians It is recommended that candidates who are not clinicians have eight years of management experience in a healthcare organization of which five years must be at the mid, upper or senior leadership level.
- Tests Required All EMHA applicants must have achieved the relevant licensure and certification for their clinical and/or professional field.
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL 80, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT Internet-based); 60, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Writing 21 (New Paper-Based—after August 2018); 585–600 (Institutional Testing Paper-Based—prior to August 2018), plus Test of Written English scores in the range of 5–6, OR,
- IELTS 6.5, with subscores of 6.0 for all four subscores, OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- Letters of Recommendation Three professional references required, preferably from those who know the applicant in a clinical and managerial professional capacity.
- Personal Statement Required; addressing the applicant’s goals for graduate study and career development. Qualified candidates will demonstrate prior success and professional experience in a clinical and/or professional role in a healthcare system as well as evidence of leadership potential.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 48.
- Course Work
|U.S. Health Care System|
|Ethical Issues in Healthcare Policy and Management|
|Health Organizational Leadership|
|Quality Management in Health Services|
|Public Health Foundations|
|Healthcare Human Resourse Management|
|Law and the Health Care System|
|Health Policy and Politics|
|Heath Care Finance I|
|Information and Decision Support Systems for Healthcare Administration|
|Managerial Health Economics|
|Quantitative Methods for Healthcare Managers|
|MHA Capstone I|
|Strategic Management of Healthcare Organizations|
|Marketing Health Programs|
|Healthcare Finance II|
- Comprehensive Examination None.
- Thesis, Project, or Course‐Work‐Only Options A team‐based capstone course which addresses an interprofessional issue in an organization is required. No other options are available.
- Other Requirements Students must maintain an overall GPA of 3.00 in the program, in accordance with the Graduate College requirements. Each student must complete a capstone project (HPA 496) and present it to HPA faculty and representatives from the organization. Credit will be granted for completion of the tasks in the published capstone syllabus, and submission of an acceptable paper, presentation, and set of deliverables that is the primary academic product of the EMHA Capstone.