Department of Finance
Campus Location: 2429 University Hall (UH), Undergraduate Programs: 1118 University Hall
Head, Gilbert Bassett
Administrative Assistant: Debbie R. Reed
Department Mission Statement
The Department of Finance is a major unit within the College of Business Administration. Our curriculum prepares students to be active participants in the finance industry. Based on our engagement with finance professionals and the research of our faculty, we provide innovative educational programs that enhance the skills of students and apply lessons from the frontiers of academic research to critical business problems. The Chicago Mercantile Exchange Market Training Laboratory provides a unique environment to gain hands-on experience in trading and to understand the intricacies of financial markets. The Finance Department uses its Chicago location and fosters partnerships with the financial and academic communities to develop the leadership potential of our students.
The department’s teaching mission involves:
- Providing strong professional training for careers in finance.
- Connecting undergraduate students to the financial services industry in the Chicago area.
- Introducing curriculum designed for specific areas of the financial services industry such as global finance, derivatives, risk management, banking, and portfolio and other investment strategies.
- Utilizing contemporary information technology in the learning process.
- Drawing upon other departments for interdisciplinary teaching areas, including accounting, information and decision sciences, and managerial studies.
BS in Finance
The finance curriculum studies the principles of financial analysis and control of individual business firms. It applies the principles to financial management, the valuation and selection of securities, and the influence of the monetary and banking system on economic activity. Students majoring in finance study how money is stored, protected, received, distributed, and managed. In the finance major, students are prepared for careers in the financial services industry. Research faculty members emphasize the newest and most innovative areas of finance.
See Academic Honors in College of Business Administration section.