MS in Finance
Applicants are considered on an individual basis. Transcripts for all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted to the Liautaud Graduate School of Business Program Office. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Baccalaureate Field No restrictions.
- Grade Point Average At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester (90 quarter) hours of undergraduate study.
- Tests Required GMAT or GRE. The score must be from a test administered within five years of the requested date of entry. The writing assessment is required. The Graduate College per se does not require a standardized test, but most graduate programs at UIC, including this one, require the results of either the GMAT or the GRE and look at these scores as part of the overall credentials of the applicant. The expectation for a GMAT score is 600.
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL 80, with subscores of Reading 20, Listening 20, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT Internet-based); 60, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Writing 21 (New Paper-Based—after August 2018); 585 (Institutional Testing Paper-Based—prior to August 2018), OR,
- IELTS 6.5, with subscores of 6.0 for all four subscores, OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- Letters of Recommendation Two required.
- Personal Statement Required.
- Other Requirements FIN 500, ACTG 500, IDS 570, and ECON 520, or the equivalent course work. Deficiencies can be addressed by taking these courses at UIC, thus increasing the time to complete the degree.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 32.
- Course Work Degree candidates must present a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00/4.00 for 32 hours counting toward the degree. Required courses can be waived by exams or at the discretion of the director of graduate studies, but they have to be replaced by other courses in the program.
Course List Code Title Hours Required Courses (12 hours) Investments Corporate Finance Quant Methods in Finance Electives (20 hours) Elective courses will be selected in consultation with an advisor based upon student's educational and professional goals. Courses can be chosen from following list of approved electives; other courses may be chosen with approval of director of graduate studies. At most, 8 hours can be in disciplines other than finance. Portfolio Analysis Options and Futures Markets Money and Banking Capital Markets International Finance Financial Decision Making I Empirical Issues in Finance Special Topics in Finance Independent Study in Finance Financial Accounting I Financial Statement Analysis Corporate Valuation and Accounting Information Data Mining for Business Time Series Econometrics Bus Resrch & Forecasting II
- Comprehensive Examination None.
- Thesis, Project, or Course-Work-Only Options Course work only. No other options available.