Minor in Food Science

The Minor in Food Science is open to undergraduate students in any college who complete both prerequisite and required coursework. Students will be allowed to complete the minor if they have a minimum GPA of 2.50/4.00 at the time of application. Students must submit an application. Students must also consult their home colleges about the acceptability and applicability of Food Science course credit toward their degree. Registration for most courses in the food science curriculum is restricted; therefore, students must register through a nutrition department academic advisor. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50/4.00 is required for the minor field.

Prerequisites for the Minor

Required Prerequisites
HN 110Foods3
One of the following chemistry sequences:10
Matter and Energy
and Foundations of Chemical Inquiry I
and Chemical Dynamics
and Foundations of Chemical Inquiry II
Honors and Majors General and Analytical Chemistry I
and Honors and Majors General and Analytical Chemistry II a
One of the following organic chemistry courses:4-5
Survey of Organic and Biochemistry
Organic Chemistry of Biological Systems
Structure and Function
BIOS 110Biology of Cells and Organisms4
BIOS 350General Microbiology3
BIOS 351Microbiology Laboratory2

While students in some UIC majors and minors who complete CHEM 116 and CHEM 118 are ordinarily not required to take CHEM 222, all students completing the Minor in Food Science must take CHEM 222, as some of the content within that course has now been aligned with the Food Science curriculum.

 Requirements for the Minor

Required Courses
CHEM 222Analytical Chemistry4
HN 300Science of Foods3
HN 410Food Microbiology4
Select one of the following courses:3-4
Food Analysis
Instrumental Analysis
Select one of the following courses: 2-3
Sensory Evaluation for Foods and Beverages
Food Product Development
Fermented Foods and Beverages
Total Hours16-18

Enrollment Residence Requirement for the Minor

A student must complete at least one half of the coursework required for the minor field in enrollment residence at the University of Illinois Chicago.