MA in Environmental and Urban Geography
Applicants are considered on an individual basis. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Baccalaureate Field No restrictions.
- Grade Point Average At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate study.
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL 80, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT Test); 60, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Writing 21 (revised Paper-Delivered Test), OR,
- IELTS 6.5, with subscores of 6.0 for all four subscores, OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- Letters of Recommendation Three required.
- Personal Statement Required.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 32.
- Course Work At least 9 hours must be in 500-level geography courses (excluding GEOG 592 and GEOG 595). For students with an undergraduate geography major, at least 6 hours must be in cognate courses recognized by the student’s faculty advisor as supporting the student’s program of study.
- Required Courses: GEOG 595. Non-thesis students must take 8 semester hours in geographic information systems or cartography and remote sensing.
- Electives: Non-thesis students must take five courses, including at least two 500-level seminars, to define a program major in either environmental or urban geography, and one geography course outside their major area. No more than 8 hours may be taken in other disciplines by nonthesis students; outside courses must support the student’s major.
- Comprehensive Examination Required only for students who do not complete a thesis; written.
- Thesis, Project, or Course-Work-Only Options Thesis or course work only. No other options available.