PhD in Mathematics
Transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
Prior Degrees MS students in the department who intend to continue on to the doctorate must satisfy the department’s master’s degree requirements and be recommended by the department for further work. If these requirements are met, admission to the PhD program is expected but not guaranteed.
Grade Point Average At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate study, and an average of 3.00 in all mathematics courses beyond calculus.
Tests Required GRE General Exam is required and the GRE Subject Test in Mathematics.
Minimum English Competency Test Score (if native language is not English)
TOEFL 100, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT Internet-based TOEFL; 60, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Writing 21 (New Paper-Based—after August 2018);600 (Institutional Testing Paper-Based—prior to August 2018), OR,
IELTS 7.0, with subscores of 7.0 for all four subscores, OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
Letters of Recommendation Three required from persons familiar with the applicant’s academic work.
Personal Statement Required.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 96 from the baccalaureate.
- Course Work At least 40 hours must be in 500-level mathematics courses, excluding thesis research (MATH 599, MCS 599, or STAT 599).
- Preliminary Examination Required.
- Dissertation Required. Students earn at least 32 hours in thesis research (MATH 599, MCS 599, or STAT 599).
- Other Requirements The language requirement for each student is decided by the Graduate Studies Committee. The determination is based on the student’s area of interest. In no case will examination in more than one language be required. In those areas in which the primary sources are in English, a foreign language may not be required.