PhD in Mathematics
Transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
Baccalaureate Field Mathematics or a related field.
Grade Point Average At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate study, and an average of 3.00 in all mathematics courses beyond calculus.
Tests Required GRE General Exam is required and the GRE Subject Test in Mathematics is highly recommended.
Minimum English Competency Test Score (if native language is not English)
TOEFL 100, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 23, and Writing 21 (iBT Test); 60, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Writing 21 (revised Paper-Delivered Test), OR,
IELTS 7.0, with subscores of 7.0 for all four subscores, OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
Letters of Recommendation Three required from persons familiar with the applicant’s academic work.
Personal Statement Required.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 96 from the baccalaureate.
- Course Work At least 40 hours must be in 500-level mathematics courses, excluding thesis research (MATH 599, MCS 599, or STAT 599).
- Preliminary Examination Required.
- Dissertation Required. Students earn at least 32 hours in thesis research (MATH 599, MCS 599, or STAT 599).