MS in Statistics
Transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Baccalaureate Field Mathematics or a related field. Applicants must have 20 semester hours of undergraduate work in mathematics beyond calculus. Additional requirements vary by area as noted in each section.
- Grade Point Average At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate study, and an average of 3.00 in all mathematics courses beyond calculus.
- Tests Required The General GRE (Graduate Record Examination)
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL 100, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT Test); 60, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Writing 21 (revised Paper-Delivered Test), OR,
- IELTS 7.0, with subscores of 7.0 for all four subscores, OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- Letters of Recommendation Three required from persons familiar with the applicant’s academic work.
- Personal Statement Required.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 32.
- Course Work At least 24 hours must be courses in MSCS, of which 12 hours must be at the 500 level.
Course List Course Title Required Courses Introduction to Probability Statistical Theory Applied Statistical Methods II 12 hours in 500-level departmental course work, excluding MATH 589. At least two courses must be in statistics. Courses may include independent study with advisor approval. Two additional 400- or 500-level courses (8 semester hours). Courses may not include MATH 589, or independent study at the 400 level. Courses from other departments may be included with advisor's approval.
- Comprehensive Examination: Students must pass the master's examination in Statistics.
- Thesis, Project, or Course-Work-Only Options: Course Work only (with required examination). No other options are available.