PhD in Anthropology
Applicants are considered on an individual basis. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Prior Degrees Students may enter either with an Anthropology MA or equivalent, from an accredited U.S. college or university.
- Grade Point Average At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate study.
- Tests Required GRE not required.
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL 80, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT); 60, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Writing 21 (revised Paper-Delivered Test), OR,
- IELTS 6.5, with subscores of 6.0 for all four subscores, OR,
- PTE-Academic 54, with subscores of Reading 51, Listening 47, Speaking 53, and Writing 56.
- Letters of Recommendation Three letters of recommendation addressing the applicant’s academic accomplishments and potential.
- Personal Statement Required. A personal statement of academic and professional intent and research interests.
- Writing Sample Suggested for students entering at the BA level. Required for those entering with a prior MA.
- Deadlines December 15 for following fall semester. Application deadlines for this program are listed on the Graduate College website.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 96 from the baccalaureate, 64 hours from the Master of Arts.
- Course Work
|Social and Cultural Theory I a|
|Social and Cultural Theory II a|
|Theory and Method in Archaeology a|
|Hominid, Phylogeny and Adaptations a|
|Graduate Seminar in Anthropology a|
- Preliminary Examination Required, written.
- Dissertation Required.
- Other Requirements Students must demonstrate competence in their field research language.
Students earning a graduate degree in this department may complement their courses by enrolling in select concentrations after consulting with their graduate advisor. Interdepartmental Concentrations available for this degree include: