BA with a Major in Liberal Studies
To earn a Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Liberal Studies degree from UIC, students need to complete university and college degree requirements. The degree requirements are outlined below. Students should consult the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences section for additional degree requirements and college academic policies.
- Students applying for the Major in Liberal Studies must meet the following criteria:
- A minimum grade point average of 2.00/4.00
- A minimum of 60 semester hours completed at the time of application
- Transfer students must have completed minimum of 15 semester hours at UIC to be eligible to apply
- Prospective students must submit an electronic application that:
- describes the academic and professional goals of the proposed major program;
- lists a minimum of three academic and professional (NACE) competencies that will be acquired through the completion of this program;
- lists potential required, selective, and elective courses for the proposed program;
- sketches out a planned timeline for completion of the requirements; and
- is endorsed by the assigned LAS academic advisor.
- Proposals will be evaluated by the LAS Associate Dean for Student Academic Affairs and the Executive Assistant Dean for Student Academic Affairs on a rolling basis. Students will be notified of the outcome of their application within four to six weeks. See the Major in Liberal Studies website for more information and a link to the electronic application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Students accepted to the major will be assigned an academic an LAS academic advisor to monitor their progress toward graduation.
|120 hours are required for the degree. Approved plans of study for the Major in Liberal Studies must include the following:|
• At least 30 (and no more than 40) semester hours for the major
• An established UIC minor or certificate in its entirety, along with additional relevant and complementary courses. Programs may be completed with a second minor or certificate instead of electives.
• A minimum of 18 hours of advanced (200-level, 300-level, 400-level) course work, of which at least 6 semester hours must be at the 300 level or above.
• A course in the student's minor department that is designated to satisfy the Writing-in-the-Discipline requirement; alternatively, an appropriate Writing-in-the-Discipline course from another department or program must be proposed and approved.
|Career Exploration and Preparation requirement:|
• This may be satisfied by LAS 200 (1 semester hour) or LAS 289 (1-3 semester hours). With advisor approval, this requirement may also be satisfied with internship or practicum credit from another department. Completion of a comparable professional experience (including internships for which credit was not earned) may also be considered, though students may be required to supplement the experience with workshops or one-on-one advising with an LAS career advisor.
|Students in the Liberal Studies major are also required to:|
• Complete all UIC and LAS requirements for graduation a
• Meet with their assigned LAS academic advisor at least once each term
Students transferring into LAS with senior standing should consult the catalog regarding options for LAS’s foreign language requirement.
Note: Revisions to the approved plan of study must be proposed in consultation with the director of undergraduate studies for the LAS minor or certificate as appropriate and approved by the assigned LAS academic advisor. The assigned academic advisor will also document these approvals. Students must seek approval for such revisions prior to enrolling in the relevant course.
Students will not be allowed to major in both an existing major and the Major in Liberal Studies.