BA with a Major in Liberal Studies
To earn a Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Liberal Studies degree from UIC, students need to complete university and college degree requirements. The degree requirements are outlined below. Students should consult the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences section for additional degree requirements and college academic policies.
- Students applying for the Major in Liberal Studies must meet the following criteria:
- A minimum grade point average of 2.50/4.00
- A minimum of 45 semester hours completed at the time of application
- Submission of a proposal that:
- thoroughly explains the intellectual rationale and the academic and professional goals of the proposed major program;
- outlines a plan of study that meets the requirements of the program;
- lists all required, selective, and elective courses for the proposed program (indicating which courses have already been completed)
- explains why the program cannot be pursued in an existing major; and
- is endorses by a faculty member who is willing to serve as mentor for the student in their pursuit of the approved plan of study.
- Proposals will be evaluated by the LAS Associate Dean for Student Academic Affairs and the Executive Assistant Dean for Student Academic Affairs on a rolling basis. Students will be notified of the outcome of their application within four to six weeks. See the Major in Liberal Studies website for more information and a link to the electronic application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Students accepted to the major will be assigned an academic an LAS academic advisor to monitor their progress toward graduation.
|120 hours are required for the degree. Approved plans of study for the Major in Liberal Studies must include the following:|
• At least 30 (and no more than 40) semester hours for the major
• An established UIC minor in its entirety, along with additional relevant and complementary courses
• A minimum of 18 hours of advanced course work, of which at least 6 hours must be at the 300 level
• A course in the student's minor department that is designated to satisfy the Writing-in-the-Discipline requirement; alternatively, an appropriate Writing-in-the-Discipline course from another department or program must be proposed and approved.
|Students in the Liberal Studies major are also required to:|
• Complete all UIC and LAS requirements for graduation
• Meet with their faculty mentor at least once each term
• Meet with their assigned LAS academic advisor at least once each term
• Meet at least once with an advisor at the LAS Career Development Office to establish a plan for the use of on-campus preprofessional resources and internship opportunities.
Note: Revisions to the approved plan of study must be supervised by the student's faculty mentor and approved by the LAS Associate Dean for Student Academic Affairs. The academic advisor will document these approvals. Students must seek approval for such revisions prior to enrolling in the relevant course.
Students will not be allowed to major in both an existing major and the Major in Liberal Studies.